At START Communications, when working through the beginning stages of a new web design project, understandably we find clients ask us a number of recurring questions. To answer these and help those of you who are unsure, we’ve put together a list of FAQs you might find useful.
1) How much will my new website cost?
This is the most commonly asked question and also a hard one to answer without first having thoroughly planned out the work that will be needed. The needs and sizes of different websites can differ substantially.
In order for us to accurately quote for a new website you will need to supply us with some information, including:
- An overview of your business such as services, products, target market and business objectives
- Your current or intended web address
- An indication of design style, including any existing branding design
- The approximate size of the website in terms of pages and content
- The main outcome(s) of the website– why do you want to do it and what do you want it to do when it is live. For example, do you want to sell online, or do you want to promote your company?
- An idea of budget, timescales and technical considerations
- Overview of your competitors
Please don’t hesitate to call or email us to discuss your web design project and we can walk you through any details we need.
2) How long will it take to build my website?
Once you have provided details of how you would like your website to work we will discuss a project timescale with you. If you require a straight-forward ‘brochure’ web design we can get you up and running in no time. If you are looking for higher levels of functionality such as a content management system (WordPress for example), e-commerce, customer logins or other features, the timescales will obviously reflect this.
The quickest way to get your new website live is to help us by providing as much information as you can from the start. The more we know the quicker and more thoroughly we can work.
START Communications has a great reputation for producing quality work with a quick turnaround. You will be able to discuss your website requirements directly with the person who will be working on it, so contact us, we’d love to hear from you.
3) Will I be able to change things on my website?
The majority of our clients have access to their websites through a content management system (CMS). This allows clients to log in via any browser, such as Internet Explorer, to make changes and additions to the site content with no extra software required. This includes adding and updating articles and images.
CMS-based websites are considered the industry norm these days, and so we usually recommend them to our clients.
4) I don’t have any text or pictures – can you help me pull some together?
Don’t let this put you off. START Communications would be delighted to help you in generating the site’s content. We can offer advice as well as full copywriting services, custom photography, stock imagery searches, illustrations, video, animated content and much more. See our full list of services for more information.
What’s more, copywriting and commissioned or royalty-free photography can be very cost-effective. You will probably be able to use these for your marketing and sales materials too (brochure, trade show display, presentations, etc.) making them even better value for money.
5) I like ‘so-and-so’s website – can you make it look like that?
It’s great to have an idea of what you do or don’t like –try to take some ideas of both to your initial website design meeting or send them to us in an email.
A crucial part of any website development project is communication – talk openly with us about what you do or don’t like and clearly explain why. That way you will get a website that looks and works how you want it to. And be open to ideas too – make sure the communication flows both ways.
Well, that’s are top 5 FAQ about website design. We hope this has answered some of your questions. If you still have questions, please call or email us, we are here to help.